An Education At WIS
At WIS, we provide a continuum of education, consisting of three IB programmes that are united by the IB’s philosophy and approaches to learning and teaching. The programmes encourage both personal and academic achievement, challenging students to excel in their studies and in their personal development.
The IB programmes incorporate quality practice from national and international research and the IB global community. They encourage students to be internationally-minded, within a complex and hyper-connected world.
WIS offers 3 high – quality IB Programmes, which:
- Focus on learners through a student-centred approach that promotes healthy relationships, ethical responsibility and personal challenge
- Develop effective approaches to teaching and learning by helping students to develop the attitudes and skills they need for both academic and personal success
- Work within global contexts through increased understanding of languages and cultures, and exploring globally significant ideas and issues
- Explore significant content by offering a curriculum that is broad and balanced, conceptual and connected.
Informed by values described in the IB Learner Profile, WIS students strive to become inquirers, knowledgeable, thinkers, communicators, principled, open-minded, caring, risk-takers, balanced, and reflective.
These attributes represent a broad range of human capacities and responsibilities that go beyond intellectual development and academic success.
The IB’s programmes are different from other curricula because they:
- Encourage students of all ages to think critically and challenge assumptions
- Develop independently of government and national systems, incorporating quality practice from research and our global community of schools
- Encourage students of all ages to consider both local and global contexts
Develop multilingual students
Students learn how to learn
Throughout all IB programmes, students develop approaches to learning skills and the attributes of the IB learner profile. Students are able to take responsibility for their own learning and understand how knowledge itself is constructed. Students are encouraged to try different approaches to learning and to take responsibility for their own educational progress.
Our programmes help IB students:
- Ask challenging questions
- Think critically
- Develop research skills proven to help them in higher education
- IB programmes also encourage students to be active in their communities and to take their learning beyond academic study.
IB PRIMARY YEARS PROGRAMME – IB PYP
The IB Primary Years Programme – PYP, is a transdisciplinary, inquiry-based and student-centred education with responsible action at its core. Through the PYP, students experience learning that is engaging, significant, challenging and relevant as it spans between, across and beyond traditional subject boundaries.
IB MIDDLE YEARS PROGRAMME – IB MYP
The IB Middle Years Programme – MYP is designed for students aged 11 to 16 years; at WIS this is from Years 7-11. It provides a framework of learning that encourages students to become creative, critical and reflective thinkers.
IB DIPLOMA PROGRAMME – IB DP
The IB Diploma Programme – DP is a 2 year pre-university course open to students between the ages of 16 to 19 years; leading either to the IB Diploma or to separate subject courses, depending on the student’s plans for further education.